Flk “Telegraph” (1903)

Text: Skipshistorie.net / The factory ships (2013)

Painting by Jim Rae, 2013.

1900 Built as a steamer TELEGRAPH at Lindstøls Verft, Risør for A/S D/S Telegraf (P. A. Green), Sandefjord. The hull of the ship was of wood, and the ship was delivered in September of that year.

1903 Hired by the newly started A / S Ørnen (Chr. Christensen), Sandefjord who wanted to try a steamship as a floating cookery on the Finnmark coast and at Svalbard. The rent was set 4 000 kroner per. month with an addition of 500 NOK if better results than 1500 fat hvalolje.
By Framnæs mech. Workshop the ship was decorated as a primitive cookery. For Christensen, this was an experiment. Capture manager for the expedition was Alex Lange. Catch boat was THE EAGLE. The 14 May 1903 came TELEGRAPH until Hammerfest and the catch could start. There was a lot of ice in it 1903, it created big problems for the catch. Attempts were made at Bjørnøya, but it was no usable port there, which provided sufficient little water for the outboard flange. Flanging and boiling succeeded only partially and in the end had to set course for Ingø on the Finnmark coast again. With seven blue whales in tow. Along the way you are surprised by the hurricane, and with only three whales retained when you reach Ingø 12/06-1903.

Manages Alex. Lange writes a desperate telegram to Chr. Christensen: "I have always had in my life so uncanny and unpleasant and so full of adversity as here on board in TELEGRAPH”. Characteristically, the answer comes from the shipowner: "Again - Christensen".

The poor cooking capacity TELEGRAPH was another reason for the relatively poor result. The expedition captured 57 whale, which 45 blue whale, which gave 1.960 fat. Of this became 1.718 barrels cooked out under the coast of Svalbard. The experience was that TELEGRAPH was too small.
This resulted in DS ADMIRALEN was bought and converted into cookery and took over as cookery in 1904 and 1905 around Spitsbergen.

From left: Shipowner and whaling owner Chr. Christensen. Alex Long; 1903-1908 was he whaling manager on TELEGRAPH and ADMIRALEN. photographs: The Whaling Museum in Sandefjord.

Flk "Telegraf"
Flk "Telegraf"

Flk “Telegraph” in Bellsund on Svalbard i 1903. photographs: The Whaling Museum in Sandefjord.

Hvb "Ørnen"

A/S Ørnens hvalbåt “The eagle”. built in 1902 at Framnæs Mek. Workshop in Sandefjord. Photo: The Whaling Museum in Sandefjord.

1915 Sold in February TELEGRAPH til A/S D/S Telegraf (Christensen & Stenseth), Sandefjord.

1916 Sold to Chr. Christensens D/S A/S (Chr. Christensen jr.), Sandefjord 07/03-1916. Sold on to D / S A / S Corona (H. M. Wrangell & Co. A/S), Haugesund 31/07-1916

1917 Ground support and sank 26/11-1917 during a coal voyage between Sunderland and Rouen, France. It was a wreck to rely on.

From the explanation of the sea:

D/S »Telegraph« (H.M.Q.W.) of Haugesund was abandoned 26. November in a downtrodden state as a result of having supported or supported. wreck 1 sq. S.V.¼S. of Sunk fyrskib i Black Deep.
Explanation of the sea in London on 29. november. The explanation is clear,
at the ship departed Sunderland the 22. November with a charge of coal certainly to Rouen. The 23. s. m. you got a pilot on board Yarmouth red, where the ship went anchored after the pilot's command. The next day at. 6.50 fm. continued to travel. Wind west, stiff breeze with cloudy air. kl. 0.30 went anchor, at. 1.10 in. cancel and proceed according to signal from the guard boat. Storm and high sea, heavy settling. kl. 4.15 in. passertes Sunk fyrskib ca. 1 sq. of. It crashed after the pilot's kommando S.V.¼V. kl. 5.45 in. the speed slowed down to soft, to do s.tb. anchor ready to fall. Immediately thereafter, the ship strongly supported. The machine was stopped and full speed backwards. It was soldered 5 embrace water. The machine was stopped, the rudder left hard and full speed backwards. It was now noticed that the rudder was damaged and the ship refused to steer. St.b. anchor let one go at. 6 in., and when piloting around the ship, a depth was found 6 fathoms. The 25. at. 8 fm. faldt b.b. anchor with 30 embraced the chain and stuck out approx. 90 favne on st.b. anchor. Increasing wind and sea, kl. llH fm. came English D / S »J. B. Paddon «along side and offered assistance, which after ship council was rejected, the steamship in question in the circumstances not wild be able to provide reassuring help. kl. 2½ in. observed a mast top about starboard. It is believed that the ship has encountered this, which probably belonged to a wreck. The 26. s. m. at. 1 fm. broke starboard anchor chain and one stuck out 75 favors on b.b.. anchor. kl. 2 fm. basicallyseveral times the ship. kl. 6 fm., decided to leave the ship, as the water, despite persistent pumping, still rose, so that it stood over the machine wilderness and ascended the machine entrances, The crew that went in the lifeboats were recruited by D / S »J. B. Paddon 'and landed in Southend at. 11½ fm. s. d.


All photos are colored by Focal Photo / Geir Rosset.


Rosset, Geir. 2013: The factory ships. Novus publishing house.