The harbor in Sandefjord 1950s

The harbor in Sandefjord 1950s

Out in the bay right at Thorøya located “Thorshavet” and “Thorshøvdi”. Left at Jahres Factories located “space III” and “space IV”. By Foreness located “Sir James Clark Ross” and what is probably “Abraham Larsen”. Inside the harbor is Jahres, Ross Sea and Thor Dahls catchers.
Photo: From private collection, photographer unknown.
ccby-nc

Boiling washes obvious in Mefjorden

Boiling washes obvious in Mefjorden

Boiling Rier laid in Mefjorden in Sandefjord. from right: C.A. Larsen, Fraternitas, Ernesto Tornquist, Congo, Table Mountain, cosmos II, Vestfold and Foyn (II). The last three were nylevert from shipyards since the crash of whale oil market came after season 1930/31 and was delivered directly to circulation.
After circulation was Congo broken up in 1935, Ernesto Tornquist was converted into freighters (still owned by Pesca), they were thus no longer used as factory ships.
Posted with permission from The Whaling Museum in Sandefjord [fs2250].
Year: 1931-32
Click on image for larger version.